Forests and Governance Programme
Enhancing the role of forests in adapting to climate change
The Center for International Forestry Researchadvances human wellbeing, environmental conservation and equity by conducting research to inform policies and practices that affect forests in developing countries. We are one of 15 centres within the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, and we have offices in Asia, Africa and South America.
CIFOR is looking for an Ecosystem Services Modelling Consultant
CIFOR has received funding from the Program for Forests within the World Bank for a project documenting the impacts of forest management regimes on non-timber sectors, particularly agriculture, non-timber forest products, water and energy, in Lao PDR, Honduras and Burkina Faso. This study falls within our research area, ‘Enhancing the role of forests in adapting to climate change, and incorporates three methodological approaches: modeling of ecosystem services under climate change and land use scenarios, comparative institutional analyses of forest management governance structures and processes, and comparative economic analysis of forest management approaches.
We are looking for a part-time consultant to lead the component on modelling of ecosystem services under climate change scenarios and land use change scenarios. The consultant will report to the project manager and will be required to work closely with staff, consultants and partners in the three case-study countries and at headquarters in Bogor. This study will deliver actionable policy recommendations to key national policy makers in the respective countries. The project has started recently and will be completed by December 2012.
- To lead in the collection, integration and analysis of data related to climate change scenarios, land use and tenure patterns, tree and vegetation cover and hydrology
- To coordinate with staff members, partners and consultants in case-study countries for the collection of data
- To collaborate with country coordinators and the project manager in developing of country reports and policy briefs as well as a synthesis report
- To collaborate with field and headquarters-based staff in the production of scientific publications based on these analyses
Education, experience and technical skills
- Master’s degree minimum, PhD preferred in ecology, forestry, natural resources management or hydrology
- Experience in ecological modelling (ecosystems and hydrology) and climate change
- Ability to integrate quantitative and qualitative research approaches and data sources
- Professional level of written and oral fluency in English
- Advantageous: Spoken and/or written knowledge of French, Spanish or Lao.
- Advantageous: Experience in data collection and collaboration with partners in developing countries.
Personal attributes and competencies
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively and positively interact with people in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment.
- Takes initiative and capable of working independently as well as in a team environment
- Values the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning
Terms and conditions
- CIFOR offers a competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience.
- The successful candidate will be hired as a consultant under a part-time contract, representing 5 months of work spread over the course of a year.
- Duty station: The consultant may work from home, or preferably be based at our headquarters in Bogor. Reliable access to internet and phone communications will be critical, and some travel may be necessary.
- Preferred start date: 1 November 2011.
- The application deadline is 15 October 2011.
- We will acknowledge all applications, but we will contact only short-listed candidates.
Please send your letter of interest and CV, including contact information for three referees to:
Human Resources Department, CIFOR
Please indicate the position in the email subject line.
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer.
Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
MilieuVacaturebank.nl weergeven op een grotere kaart