Consultant (Remote Sensing and GIS) Global Comparative Study on REDD (C-2 & C-3)
The Center for International Forestry Research advances human wellbeing, environmental conservation and equity by conducting research to inform policies and practices that affect forests in developing countries. We are one of 15 centers within the CGIAR. Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, and we have offices in Asia, Africa and South America.
We are looking for a Consultant who shares our passion for enhancing the role of forests in human well-being and environmental conservation, and our commitment to professionalism, innovation, impact, and collaboration. The international community now recognises Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and forest Degradation (REDD+) as a critical component of national and international strategies for mitigating climate change. To support the endeavor of producing a post-2012 climate treaty, CIFOR is conducting a four-year global comparative research project on first-generation REDD+ project sites and national REDD+ initiatives in selected countries across Latin America, Africa, and Asia. The goal is to provide REDD+ policy makers and practitioner communities with the information, analysis and tools they need to ensure effective and cost-efficient reduction of carbon emissions with equitable impacts and co-benefits. The project consists of four components:
- National REDD+ initiatives (policy processes and strategies) (C-1);
- REDD+ project sites (C-2);
- Monitoring and reference levels (C-3); and
- Knowledge sharing (C-4).
The Consultant will be assigned to assist researchers/scientists in the C-2 and C-3 components of Global Comparative Study on REDD (GCS – REDD+). Duties and responsibilities of the Consultant will include:
- Create and manage GIS and remote sensing database for 22 projects sites in Brazil, Peru, Cameroon, Tanzania, Indonesia and Vietnam.
- Collaborate closely with project partners working at the project sites.
- Support researchers/scientists to produce journal articles, research reports, and policy briefs.
- Assist field work whenever required.
- Other tasks assigned by the supervisor(s).
Education, experience, technical skills and competencies
- Masters degree in geoinformatics, forestry, environmental, natural resources or other related discipline.
- A minimum of three years experience in spatial data analysis and management.
- Strong analytical skills in major database and statistical softwares.
- Experience in doing field research in remote areas.
- Good report writing skills.
- Basic knowledge in programming languages will be an added advantage.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
Personal attributes and competencies
- Have initiative and capable of working independently as well as an effective team player.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
Terms and conditions
- CIFOR offers a competitive remuneration in USD commensurate with skills and experience.
- The appointment will be for a year with a possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
- The duty station will be at the CIFOR headquarters in Bogor, Indonesia.
- The application deadline is February 10th, 2012. We will acknowledge all applications, however we will contact only short-listed candidates. Please send your letter of interest, response to our requirements and CV, including contact information for three referees to:
Human Resources Department, CIFOR
Please indicate the position in the email subject line.
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer.
Staff diversity contributes to excellence.