Senior Specialist - Environmental and Ecological Performance
Nederlandse Aardolie Maatschappij B.V.
We're currently recruiting a Senior Environmental Specialist to join the Health Safety & Environmental (HSE) Team at the NAM - Nederlandse Aardolie Maatschappij BV - in Assen.
This role will provide ample career development opportunities and technical challenges to gain an exciting and valuable experience in a world-class organisation. The NAM is the most important producer of natural gas in the Netherlands and is part of Shell upstream International Europe. The NAM is operating both onshore and offshore.
The HSE team in NAM has some 40 staff between offices in Assen (NL) and East Anglia (UK), providing in-house expertise and support in the areas of Safety, Health, Environment, Sustainable Development and Social Performance.
The portfolio of NAM compromises the large Groningen gas field, 2 large underground storages for natural gas, many smaller onshore gas and oilfields and some 70 offshore installations. Some of the smaller gas fields are located underneath the sensitive Waddenzee area.
At Shell our commitment is to satisfy the world’s need for energy with economically, socially and environmentally responsible solutions. We seek a high standard of performance. If you want to work with a group of creative, very knowledgeable and innovative professionals then you should consider NAM. Together we will work on exiting, existing and upcoming, challenges. Join us and let’s make a real difference together.
Send your application online
The purpose of this role is to plan, execute and deliver Environmental and Ecological Performance for NAM’s daily operations. Ensuring that environmental, ecological and broader non-technical risk objectives are incorporated early in project development and day to day business preserving Shell’s license to operate.
The team’s key objective is to support NAM’s projects and production operations with exemplary Environmental/Ecological Performance.
Acting as an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) subject matter expert, you will plan and manage impact assessments and coordinate the activities of EIA contractors. This will include the scoping, preparation of Terms of Reference and definition of environmental, ecological and other non-technical risks. Some key elements within scope are:
- Design, coordination and evaluation (including contracting out) of subsidence monitoring for the Waddenzee area (including transition areas)
- Reviewing external ecological reporting
- Consultation with NGO's, researchers, Water Boards and Governmental bodies
- Ecological input in onshore and offshore projects
- Subject matter expert for ecological impact assessment related to subsidence, lighting of platforms, under water noise and bird migration
- Subject matter expert for eco-toxicology e.g. related to emissions
- Subject matter expert for bio-diversity - both Onshore and Offshore
You will be qualified to MSc level in Ecology, Biology or Nature Management. You will be fluent in English and Dutch, both written and verbal, possess excellent collaboration and team working skills.
With a thorough understanding of HSSE & SP policy, principles and issues, you will fully appreciate how these relate to business in the oil and gas industry. Furthermore, clear understanding and experience of international and national approaches in the application of environmental, ecological and related standards is essential. Also practical knowledge of guidelines and expectations defined by formal regulatory environments and in relation to the demands of stakeholders and society is vital.
Additionally, you will have:
Tuesday 30 October 2012
Number of Vacancies:
- Proven experience with Dutch legislation and EU developments
- Again, proven experience in impact assessment
- Experience with quotation of work - contracting out
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills to work effectively in/and across multi-functional virtual teams and capacity to interface with a wide range of internal stakeholders, customers and (external) service providers
- Self-assurance and confidence, able to execute position responsibilities with minimal guidance
- Ability to be a strong team player in order to identify and understand (business) project requirements; then aptitude to translate these opportunities into delivering innovative and sustainable solutions to projects and stakeholders
- Strong planning, coordination, and leadership skills
- Excellent verbal communication and technical writing skills
- Skilled in writing reports with academic content
- Preferably a back-ground in research in relevant arena’s
- Dutch native speaker