Zoek je een baan en heb je een passie voor natuur en onderzoek? Dan ben je bij Naturalis Biodiversity Center aan het juiste adres.
The approach of representing taxonomic knowledge in such a way that it can be queried and made amenable to automated reasoning opens up a wealth of possibilities for exploring the data, both in fundamental and applied research contexts. Recent proofs-of-concept have shown that it is feasible to semantically annotate an entire Flora with concepts describing phenotypic qualities, terms describing habitat types, and terms that identify taxa.
Conversely, such well-defined semantics can feed back into primary text mining in an approach where the mark-up processes are informed by already existing corpora of knowledge (i.e. plant anatomy ontologies, plant trait ontologies, entity/quality ontologies, taxonomy ontologies, habitat ontologies, glossaries, lists of place names) to aid in the extraction and mark-up of relevant concepts, and vice versa, to expand and to enrich these corpora.
In this project, Naturalis aims to demonstrate the novelty of the approach, where mark-up procedures become "ontology-mediated".
- To extend/modify scripts that create FlorML documents from the contents of the Flora of the Guianas (excluding wood description content);
- To mark-up of Flora de Guianas content using the modified version of Perl scripts;
- To generate xml files with Flora of the Guianas taxonomic treatments in a suitable format to be imported to the Platform for Cybertaxonomy - Common Data Model;
- To generate xml files with Flora Malesiana taxonomic treatments in a suitable format to be ingested in the Platform for Cybertaxonomy - Common Data Model *;
- To align mark-up activities with the goals of the project “Mark-up and Ontology of taxonomic literature”, under the framework of a Naturalis proposal on Virtual Research Environments.
General requirements and skills
- Bachelor degree;
- Proficiency in Perl programming language;
- Basic knowledge on data-driven ontology development;
- Excellent command of the Dutch and English language (written and verbal) is required;
- Proactive and accurate ;
- Autonomous but with a team spirit.
A temporary contract (32 hours per week) for the duration of this project. We offer a gross salary around €2.223,- a month based on 36 hours a week.
Applicants are invited to submit their application including a motivation letter and CV before the 28th of September to email@example.com.